1894 Banca Commerciale Italiana (known as Comit in Italy and BCI abroad) is established in Milan by German, Austrian and Swiss banks.
1910–1911 The expansion abroad begins through subsidiary banks established in France (Banque Française et Italienne pour l’Amerique du Sud) and Switzerland (Banca della Svizzera Italiana). The first foreign branch was opened in London.
1918–1929 The foreign banking network grows in Eastern Europe, in the Mediterranean countries and in the Americas.
1931–1934 The Italian State steps in to support Comit; Istituto per la Ricostruzione Industriale – IRI, a government agency, becomes Comit’s controlling shareholder.
1934–1937 Comit is confined to offer short-term credit; it qualifies as ‘a bank of national interest’ under the Banking Law of 1936, along with Banco di Roma and Credito Italiano, also controlled by IRI.
1946 Comit promotes with the other two banks of national interest the creation of Mediobanca in Milan, a bank mandated to act as a merchant bank able to offer medium- and long-term financing to Italian enterprises.
1970 Comit shares are quoted on the Milan Stock Exchange.
1970–1980 Re-starting of the foreign network of branches and controlled banks.
1994 IRI markets its entire holding in Comit by way of a public offer. Comit has now the shape and functions of a universal bank.
1999 Intesa, by way of a public offer, acquires 70% of Comit shares.